Frequently Asked Questions
What financial support is available for owning an electric car?
In addition to reduced fuel costs, as low as 2p per mile, there are a number of ways to receive financial support in the switch to electric and low-emission vehicles:
Support from the Government:
- Plug-in car, van and motorcycle grants, are applied when purchasing a new vehicle, offering:
- 35% of the cost of a car, up to a maximum of £3,000.
- 20% of the cost of a motorcycle, up to a maximum of £1,500.
- 20% of the cost of a moped, up to a maximum of £1,500.
- 20% of the cost of a van, up to a maximum of £8,000.
- 20% of the cost of a taxi, up to a maximum of £7,500.
- 20% of the cost of a large van, up to a maximum of £20,000 for the first 200 orders; then 20% up to a maximum of £8,000.
- Electric Vehicle Home charge Scheme (EVHS) offering:
- Provides funding of up to 75% towards the cost of installing electric vehicle charge points at domestic properties across the UK, up to a maximum of £350.
- Electric Vehicle Work charge Scheme (WCS) offering:
- Support towards the up-front costs of the purchase and installation of electric vehicle charge points, for eligible businesses, charities and public sector organisations. This grant offers 75% of purchase and installation costs, up to a maximum of £350 for each socket, up to a maximum of 40 across all sites for each applicant.
- Vehicle Tax Rates:
- £0 VED for electric and ultra-low emissions vehicles under £40,000.
- 0% BIK tax rates for company vehicles.
- London Congestion Charge :
- Zero-emissions vehicles are eligible for a discount on the London congestion charge.
Support from Brighton & Hove Council:
- Free parking for plug-in Vehicles:
- Resident Parking Permits:
- Although there are no specific discounts encouraging zero-emissions vehicles in the city, Brighton & Hove Council do offer a 50% reduction in the price of Resident Parking Permits for vehicles with emissions lower than 110g/km, which of course electric vehicles are eligible for.
Article last updated on April 28th 2020.